I'm on Twitter! More Must Reads

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, June 10, 2008

    More UAV's for ASW

    In what I consider some interesting news on the anti-submarine warfare front, the P-8 is being developed without magnetic anomaly detection capability, because "Planners became confident that acoustic processing systems will provide adequate sub-hunting capability." Losing the MAD allows the P-8 to shed some weight and lose drag, which are good platform things.

    I've worked with P-3 guys over the years, and I honestly have never heard one talk about MAD's capabilities, as we always focus on their acoustic sensors, so I tend to discount its usefulness. In other P-8 news, a UAV, MagEagle, which is a variant of the ScanEagle already in useis being developed for use in ASW. A variant is being developed also that can be launched from a Trident missile tube.

    Pretty cool stuff...

    became confident that acoustic processing systems will provide adequate sub-hunting capability


    More...

    No comments: