From the Globe article:
- Analysts predicted that Cash for Clunkers would not boost sales for the year. September’s sales swoon seems to be making their case.
- Most sales were of foreign models.
- Most dealers are still waiting for voucher reimbursements.
- “It was probably, in the end, a complete waste of taxpayer money,’’ said John Wolkonowicz, a senior auto analyst at IHS Global Insight.
- In addition to the formidable paperwork, the government website set up to process the deals kept crashing, creating a backlog.
- Wolkonowicz said the fall slowdown may have been worsened by the program.