Some random thoughts:
- Do you ever wonder if Randy has a limited wardrobe?
- Who will get the pimp spots, and who is screwed by going in the first group?
- 2 hours. 26 minutes of singing, 30 minutes of commercials, and an hour of nothing.
- Need to get through this quickly so we can see if Russell fails on his Redemption Island effort.
- The washer squeaks so much I can't hear anything.
- Lauren Alaina - Ouch, spot 1. I think she's popular, so this may not hurt her. Some Shania Twain song. Seems pretty uninspired to me. Steven has it right, not "kick-ass" enough. Randy and J-Lo echo.
- Casey Abrams - Joe Cocker's "I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends" - If I hadn't heard Joe Cocker do this, I would like it more. I think it's a good performance, solidly on key and suits his voice and vibe. I'm not blown away like J-Lo, but Randy says unbelievable and exciting. Get the idea the judges like Casey.
- Ashton Jones - One of the judges picks does Diana Ross. I am not familiar with the song, but she seems screechy to me. This spot is not going to help her. No one really loves it.
- After 5 minutes of commercials, we are given, Paul McDonald, who will sing a Ryan Adams song. I have to say, I am not a fan of this guy, and he sounds like he's sick. I am going to say what America is thinking - "Awful." Steven Tyler loves everyone. J-Lo likes the moves. They're not smiling at him, they are laughing at him. Randy loves who Paul is. I DON'T get it. Well, actually, I DO get it, but, I don't like it.
- Another 4 minutes, and Pia Toscano is next. Now, it helps that she's the hottest of the contestants (and can sing), but the number 5 spot is a crap hole. Uh oh, Celine Dion. Some of us remember when this song was original, and not by Celine Dion. That means we're old. Simon would say, "It's very karaoke, I think you're in trouble." But, these judges are forgiving, so they say instead, "really beautiful," (J-Lo) "You have such a natural gift, I love it," (Randy) and "You just slammed it." (The new Paula).
- James Durbin idolizes Paul McCartney and will do "Maybe I'm Amazed." Actually, I do like this version, and it's a little more like I think the Beatles (the late '60's Beatles) would have done this song. He's not helped by the mid-pack position, but Randy, for good reason, loves it. As do the others.
- Haley Reinhart - One of those forgotten girls. Stuck mid-pack, I think she's quite good, as this seems a very difficult song. Will people remember it? I think Randy has it perhaps right, that it's boring...
- Jacob Lusk - R. Kelly? Really? Is he going to rape someone? Ok, I have to admit, when Jacob sings, he is one of those singers that send chills up the spine. I loved the gospel touch to this. Really something. Randy has it right.
- Moving into the homestretch, next up is Thia Megia - who will sing Smile. There's no doubt that she has a very nice voice, and this moves to a jazzy vibe, which I think works ok for her. Simon would complain that it's an old person's song. He'd be right.
- Stefano Langone - is going to do a Stevie Wonder song. Dangerous (that's not the song), it's the strategy. He's approaching pimp spot, which is an indication the producers want him to stick around. Stevie Wonder rarely is a good choice for contestants, and I feel the same way here. The fact that he couldn't break into the top 10 last week means he's not THAT popular with the fans. Judges pimp him. I don't really know why.
- Karen Rodriguez - is going take a Selena song and my only question - is it going to be in Spanish? I just don't think it's that good. She's the first contestant I have felt was really, really in trouble. If J-Lo is downplaying it, it really did suck. They all agree, suckfest.
- Scotty McCreery - Seems like something's wrong with the microphone. I don't think this song really fits Scotty's voice. I like him, and I love his voice for country music. I don't think this song worked and I hope the country fans keep him in, and he's aided by the number 12 spot. Steven Tyler makes no sense, you know that. Judges loved it and I wonder if the acoustics in the theater were better than what translated through my TV.
- Naima Adedapo - Umbrella - She's got the coveted pimp spot, for someone who was saved by the judges and I didn't think deserved it, that's an indication the producers want her around and think she needs a boost. This may just be me, but I hated it. Seemed off-key, arrangement was weird and she's weird. Simon would detest this. If she were not in the 13 spot, I'd say goodbye to her.
So, I think Karen is gone, but, could be Ashton or Thia or Paul. Add in Naima, and they are my bottom four.
My top are easy:
Jacob, James, Pia.
Everyone else in a broad middle. What did you think?