I'm on Twitter! More Must Reads

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, July 27, 2009

    Abortion - more Facebook stupidity

    I don't really like to start abortion debates here (they are good for the hit meter, but little else), but, when I posted over on Facebook about how abortions have declined for the last 8 years, and how public opinion is turning against the "choice" side, I got this reply (Facebook is not filled with the greatest debaters):

    ""Jay,,, since you stated about the great success regarding tighter state restrictions on abortion,,, giving kudos up to George Bush and pollsters,,, and overturning Roe,, within the next decade I am just wondering,,, how do you think Dr. Tiller's family is feeling right now?"

    Ok, first, I did note as a success some reasonable restrictions states have been placing on abortions (mostly parental notification laws), and I didn't really give pollsters credit, I was referencing this May 15, 2009 Gallup (you may have heard of them) poll showing a 51%-42% Pro-life vs. Pro-Choice poll, putting the "Life" side ahead for the first time.

    I am pretty sure (the whole thread is down now) I didn't suggest Roe would be overturned in the next decade (which it won't barring a GOP victory in 2012), but, I do think Roe's days are numbered, but that's for another post.

    What really chaps me in this one, as you can probably guess, is the equation of someone being pro-life (as I freely admit I am), with being pro-murder, when the murder in question is of an abortionist.

    I replied to the writer of this post that she was comparing apples to oranges, that my position is that murdering the practitioner of a practice that is legal in this country only serves to help the "choice" movement, as evidenced by this post, since it allows those on that side to try to draw these false moral comparisons, and the simpletons eat it up. Beyond that, to compare the heinous murder of one man, however wrong it is, with the genocide (and, that's what it is) of 30M plus children since 1973, is, well, somewhat one-sided.

    The reality is that the murderer of Dr. Tiller should face the maximum penalty for what he has done - and he will. The murder of Dr. Tiller does nothing to help the pro-life cause. People who really want to see this practice eliminated need to protest peacefully, contact their elected representatives, and speak out on blogs, etc.

    Regardless, the pro-life cause will eventually prevail because incremental steps will be taken to reasonably restrict abortion, technologies such as ultrasounds are changing people's conceptions of life, and science will eventually push that "viability" point so far towards conception that eventually many more than 51% of Americans will realize that this practice is morally reprehensible and will seek to outlaw it (with some exceptions that this society will be able to agree upon - thus keeping it safe, sometimes legal, and finally rare). Finally, it will happen because it is the right thing to do.

    end...

    2 comments:

    reddog said...

    I like the abortion divide in this country. Abortion is settled law and has been for 35 years. There's no going back. Continuing to kick it around so vigorously keeps the wingnuts from getting too involved in more contemporary and important domestic social issues. It also makes them look hateful and stupid. Gay rights is another one I love, for exactly the same reason.

    I'm an atheist, abortionary, gay rightist. Let's keep fightin', Bubba! Put up your Dukes.

    Anonymous said...

    Sharing on Facebook your daily activities may expose your private life to others, so if you feel that you’ve some stupidity don’t let it strikes all our walls; you will be surprised how effective social networking sites are in revealing people's stupidity.

    plz check this out and you'll know how much your Facebook friends are stupid : http://jaftalks.com/Home/Show/Stupidity-Strikes-Again-facebook-funny