And, they are doing it with the acquiescence of much of corporate America. As I posted previously, Wal-mart has decided to back Obamacare. For good selfish reasons, large corporations like much of what Obama is promising.
But, Jonah Goldberg, who wrote the book on Liberal Fascism, tries to make it clearer for those dense of mind. Read his post, but I'll highlight for you:
- "In the last two election cycles, big Wall Street firms gave more to Democrats than to Republicans. Democrats also led in most other big-business sectors."
- "On health care, insurance companies and others repeat the mantra that they want to be 'at the table rather than on the menu,' all the better to be positioned as a tax collector of the welfare state."
- "General Motors and Chrysler have gone from being pimped-out prostitutes of the state to outright chattel more akin to the leather-bound gimp in Pulp Fiction, eager to do the bidding of the president and the UAW."
- "Once-proud companies like GE have become seduced by global-warming schemes because they recognize that there’s more money to be made selling white elephants to Uncle Sam than there is selling competitive products consumers want. Indeed, cap-and-trade taxes promise to deliver precisely the protectionist industrial policies the Left has dreamed of for decades, only under a “progressive” label."
- "This week, Philip Morris, the biggest of the big tobacco companies, supported and won passage of an “anti-tobacco” bill that will make it easier for Philip Morris (a subsidiary of Altria) to sell cigarettes by making it harder for smaller, more innovative firms to compete."
Before long, no matter who you work for, you'll be a quasi-government employee (minus all the great benefits, which they of course will retain as the rest of us are hustled off into government-mandated programs).
That's the future. We'll be more messed up than France.