- John Tyler succeeded WH Harrison, who died in office
- Fillmore succeeded Zachary Taylor, who died in office
- Andrew Johnson succeeded the assassinated Lincoln
- Chester A Arthur succeeeded Garfield, who died in office
- McKinley was assassinated and succeeded by TR
- Silent Cal Coolidge succeeded Harding
- Truman succeeded FDR, who passed in office
- Johnson succeeded JFK, who was assassinated
- Ford succeeded Nixon, who resigned
So, Doris Kearns Goodwin, that exceptional presidential scholar and master of the obvious makes a statement that VP's succeed presidents on the heels of their death, assassination (isn't this death?), or resignation, then she demonstrates why she wasn't a math major by inflating the number of VP's who have succeeded Presidents for those causes, it's less than 1 in 4, not nearly 1 in 3.
She's another Democratic partisan hack and always has been.